Grey Rondo a la Turk

It’s finally done! I cast this on about a year ago, and it sat around for months with everything but the sleeves finished. When I finally sat down to do the sleeves, I realized I had purloined one of the grey skeins to make a Freestyle Hat for Chris, and only had one skein left for my sweater. Luckily, I hardly ever wear sweaters with full sleeves, so I just split my remaining yarn into two balls of equal weight (thanks, kitchen scale) and knit them half-length. Very pleased with the final product.

Why yes, I casually lean against the balcony railing all the time.

I made the 36.5 size, so this is a no-ease sweater for me.

The yarn is Cascade Longwood, which is really soft and lovely, but yowza does it split easily. There’s almost no twist to the yarn, so it’s like knitting with 10 little separate threads. Aside from the extra attention to not splitting stitches, Longwood is pleasant to work with and the finished fabric is very warm and cushy.

How is there not a cat in this picture?

My biggest “arrrgh” is using a tiny 9″ circular to knit the sweater sleeves. It definitely works, but the needle tips are so short they’re hard to hold onto without rearranging after each stitch. I guess I’m 50/50 on a short circular vs DPNs for sleeves. Maybe trying the Magic Loop would be better?

Colorwork detail

I used a few different techniques in this project that are worth bookmarking:

Now I just need the weather to cool off enough to wear it all day.

Warning! The interval between pettings is approaching maximum tolerance

Dijon, a Wickerwork hat

I like hats to be on the looser side if I’m wearing them in a casual, around-the-town kind of way. However, we went camping at Courtright Reservoir last November, and my hat just wouldn’t stay on while I slept. There was a chilly wind that just zapped my head heat, so I decided that I needed to make a tighter-fitting hat before we go up to Yosemite in April. I found this pretty stitch pattern and worked it up at a tighter gauge than the instructions called for, adding an additional repeat of the body rows so it would fit my weirdly large head. (All my brains need room to whirr about in there, I suppose.) It came out just right.

Knitting deets on my Ravelry page